Spearmint plant grows to a height of 100 cm in temperate region that usually have wet soil. It belongs to the family Lamiaceae. This is a rhizomatous plant that is perennial in nature. The stems and foliage vary from hairy to hairless. The underground rhizomes have leaves that have serrated margins. The flowering top is used to extract oil with the help of the steam distillation process.
Brief History & Historical Uses of Spearmint Oil:
The origin of Spearmint oil is believed to be from the Mediterranean region. Initially, it was used by Greek people as an aphrodisiac. Ancient people also used the oil in their bath water because of its aromatic fragrance. Many herbalists and physicians had stated that the oil has many medicinal benefits such as it was used to treat sexually transmitted diseases. Additionally, this was used to provide relief from common cold, respiratory problems, nausea and in clearing the voice.
• The oil shows marvellous therapeutic benefits such as carminative, stimulant, antispasmodic, antiseptic and restorative.
• It is used to stimulate blood circulation, decongests nasal passages, boosts immunity, cleanses & refreshes skin.
• It keeps the digestive system functional and provides relief from hiccups and relaxes stomach muscles.
• This is useful in case of headache, asthma, sinusitis, bronchitis, stress and fatigue.
Blends well with:
Spearmint oil goes well with Eucalyptus , Rosemary, Lavender, Basil and Peppermint.
General Precautionary Measures!
• Spearmint oil should not be used with any homeopathic medicines.
• Always keep the oil away from the reach of children and pets.
• Before applying the oil on skin, always dilute it with suitable carrier as the concentrated oil may cause skin rashes and other allergic reactions to users.
Botanical Name : Mentha spicata
CAS# : 8008-79-5
Color & Odor : Pale Yellow with Strong, Astringent Lemon odor
F.E.M.A. # : N/A
Methods of Extraction : Steam Distillation
Constituents : L-carvone, Limonene
Solubility : Insoluble in water, soluble in alcohol and oils
Specific Gravity : 0.971 @ 72°F
Flash Point : 59 °C
Optical Rotation : -47
Major Constituents : L-carvone, Limonene