The botanical name of Peru Balsam is Myroxylon Pereira and share traits of Fabaceae family. The tree is indigenous to some regions of USA especially Central America and South America. The height of tree extends to 40 meters and harvested on lateritic soil. Fiji and Indonesia have become new regions to harvest this tree.
Overview of Peru Balsam Essential Oil:
Peru Balsam is known for its perfumery significance. The liquid is extracted from the oily sap if stems by steam distillation method. The oil is rich in major constituents like Benzoic Acid, Cinnamic Acid, Benzyl Cinnamate and Cinnamyl Cinnamate which makes it major ingredient in many medicines.
Benefits of Peru Balsam Essential Oil:
• Peru Balsam essential oil eliminates respiratory disorders as it is constituted with expectorant which boosts production of lungs phlegm.
• It is rich in anti-bacterial and antifungal properties and hence provides enough strength to immune system fighting from germs and infections.
• Dandruff makes hair rough and freezy. However, using Peru Balsam essential oil can remove dandruff and dryness from scalp.
• People with saggy muscles, wrinkles, acne and pimples can apply it before going to bed for an effective skin care result.
• The oil is a major constituent of aromatherapy. It is used in alleviating stress, anxiety, depression and helps a person to sleep faster during insomnia.
Blends well with :
Peru Balsam essential oil goes well with Lavender, Black Pepper, Cardamom, Cedarwood (all), Cinnamon (all), Copaiba, Ginger Root CO2, Jasmine Absolute, Lemon, Orange , Patchouli, Peppermint, Sandalwood Australian, Spearmint, Vetiver, Ylang Ylang and Yuzu.
There is not enough information about using Peru Balsam essential oil during pregnancy and lactation period for a women. Therefore, it is best to ignore the oil during those phases to stay out of risks. Excessive use of this oil can also lead to kidney damage.
Botanical Name : Myroxylon pereira
CAS# : 8007-00-9
Color & Odor : Pale yellow to pale amber liquid with a vanilla like scent
F.E.M.A. # : N/A
Methods of Extraction : Steam Distillation
Constituents : Benzyl- & cinnamyl esters of benzoic acid
Solubility : Insoluble in water, soluble in alcohol and oils
Specific Gravity : 1.102 @ 72°F
Flash Point : above 220 °F
Optical Rotation : 60º to 0º.
Major Constituents : Benzyl- & cinnamyl esters of benzoic acid