Sweet marjoram, also called oregano is a perennial Mediterranean herb having a sweet pine citrusy flavour. The botanical name of this herb is Origanum Marjorana and it belongs to Labiatae family. The height of this plant is about 75 cm. The plant has dark green leaves and small pinkish-white blooms.
Overview of Sweet Marjoram Essential Oil:
Sweet marjoram essential oil is made from the dried leaves and flowering tops of the marjoram plant by steam distillation. It is yellow-green in colour and has a delicate, pungent, woody odour similar to cardamom and nutmeg.
Benefits of Sweet Marjoram Essential Oil:
• Being analgesic in nature, it alleviates the pain of toothache and headache.
• The antispasmodic properties of this oil ease the pain of the respiratory and muscular spasms.
• Sweet Marjoram Essential Oil helps to remove excess water, salt and other harmful substances from the body.
• It relieves the pain of menstruation.
Blends well with:
Sweet Marjoram essential oil goes well with Thyme, Basil , Chammomile, Orange, Lavender, Tea Tree, Eucalyptus, Frankincense, Cypress, Cardamom, Nutmeg, Elemiand Rosewood.
• People with low blood pressure must avoid the use of Sweet Marjoram Essential Oil.
• Expecting women should consult a physician before going for this oil.
• Combine this oil with coconut oil, olive oil, jojoba oil for applying externally.
Botanical Name : Origanum Marjorana
CAS# : 84082-58-6
Color & Odor : Colorless to pale yellow liquid.
F.E.M.A. # : N/A
Methods of Extraction : Steam Distillation
Constituents : linalool, a-pinene
Solubility : Soluble in alcohol
Specific Gravity : 0.86000 – 0.89200 @ 20 C
Flash Point : 126
Optical Rotation : 6.5
Major Constituents : linalool, a-pinene