Scientifically known as Syzygium aromaticum L, Clove is a flowering plant which is native to Maluku Islands, Indonesia and India. The evergreen tree grows 8 to 12 m in height. From ancient period, it is used in many culinary purposes to add rich flavours.
Overview of Clove Essential Oil
Clove essential oil is prepared by dried flower buds extract with steam distillation method. The oil is valued in many industries due to its rich components like phenylpropanoids, eugenol, thymol, carvacrol, and cinnamaldehyde. The color of oil may vary from pale yellow to golden brown and has a spicy aroma.
Benefits of Clove Essential Oil
• Clove essential oil is rich in eugenol which makes it ideal to be used in many skin care products to treat acne, pimples and rashes.
• The oil has anticandidal and antifungal qualities which makes it beneficial to treat yeast infection in ears, mouth, nose, vagina and nails.
• Clove essential oil is very effective in treating dental problems naturally. Applying directly to tooth may give ease in toothaches, sore gums, and mouth ulcers.
• Due to its antiseptic properties, it is beneficial during wounds, inflammation, injuries and insect bites.
• Clove oil is a natural way to boost immune system and purify blood. It reduces heart problems as well.
Using it in high amount, might cause damage to gums and mucous membrane of mouth. Children should ignore using Clove essential oil as it can cause seizures and liver damage. Also, pregnant and lactating women should ignore it for being on a safer side.