Cedearwood oil is one of the most popularly bought essential oils. It is an extraction of cedarwood chips and saw dust that possesses many therapeutic benefits and medicinal properties.
Cedarwood is also known as Deodar cedar, grows to a height of 131 feet high. It belongs to Abietaceae family. This evergreen tree appears as pyramid in shape that has grey-greenish needles and oval-shaped cones.
A Brief History of Cedarwood Oils:
Cedarwood oils are obtained from sawdust and wood chips via the steam distillation process. The aroma of the oil is soft and pencil-like. The color of the oil thus obtained appears as light orange to pale yellow in color and appears slightly viscous.
• The use of Cedarwood oil dates back to ancient era where Native Americans, Tibetans and Egyptians have used it for different purposes.
• In Bible, there are many names of this oil has mentioned that shows its existence from ancient time.
• It was believed to calm the body and also rejuvenate the spirit and mind.
• It has several therapeutic benefits such as antiseptic, fungicidal, expectorant, astringent, antispasmodic and fungicidal.
• Besides, it also provides relief from muscle spasm, eliminates cough, promotes urination, reduces inflammation and prevents infections.
Blends well with:
Cedarwood (himalayan) goes well with Neroli, Cassia, Cypress, Clary sage, Labdanum, Frankincense, Jasmine, Juniper, Rosemary, Vetiver, Bergamot, Rosewood and Ylang Ylang.
General Precautionary Measures!
• Do not use Cedarwood oil in sensitive area and eyes.
• It should be used for external purpose and not the internal.
• Nursing mother and pregnant lady should avoid using this oil unless recommended by doctor.
• Consult to the doctor before using this oil for children as it is not suggested for kid.
Botanical Name : Cedrus deodora
CAS# : 8000-27-9
Color & Odor : Yellow to brown liquid & Slightly camphoraceous and smoky odor
F.E.M.A. # : 4503
Methods of Extraction : Steam Distillation
Constituents : Himachalene
Solubility : 1 ml dissolves in 3.5 ml – 4 ml alcohol
Specific Gravity : 0.920-0.970
Flash Point : 210 °F
Optical Rotation : + 480 to + 700
Major Constituents : Himachalene