Scientifically known as Ct. Estragole, Basil is an annual herb which is used for culinary and medicinal purposes. It grows up to 1 m and is native to India. In Greek, it is known as King or Royal remedy. Basil can be easily grown in kitchen garden as it is very small in size and requires less care. Basil is categorized into 15 types such as Holy basil, Thai basil, Lemon basil, Sweet Basil and many more.
Overview of Basil essential oil:
Basil Essential oil also known as Tulsi oil is made by steam distilling leaves of this herb. Colour of the liquid can vary from colourless to pale yellow. It is constituted with Linalool, limonene, methyl cinnamate and methylhevicol substances.
Benefits of Basil Essential Oil:
• Due to anti-inflammatory properties, it pacifies sore joints and muscles.
• The oil can be used for improving respiratory issues like Asthma, cough and clogged nose. It also helps in improving bad breath.
• Applying it directly on skin helps in relaxing open pores and works as a cooling agent by hydrating it.
• Due to its intense and bold fragrance, it is used as natural perfume and deodorant to ward off bad smell.
• It is also used for aromatherapy to alleviate stress and anxiety.
There are no such side effects of Basil essential oil. However, in case of pregnancy and lactation period, medical expert’s advice is very important to seek.
Botanical Name : Ct. Estragole
CAS# : 8015-73-4
Color & Odor : Colourless to a pale amber colour & Clear, light sweet, Peppery odour.
F.E.M.A. # : 2119
Methods of Extraction : Steam Distillation
Constituents : N/A
Solubility : Soluble in 3.5 vol of 70% alcohol
Specific Gravity : 0.900-0.960
Flash Point : 230 °F
Optical Rotation : -14.0 – -5.0 @ 20°C
Major Constituents : N/A